Frequently Asked Questions

Counseling & Campus Wellness

Find answers to the most frequently asked questions about the services Counseling and Campus Wellness provide. If you still have questions, please reach out to us by calling 307.778-4397.

Students come to Counseling and Campus Wellness with a wide range of presenting concerns. Students may want to talk about normal developmental issues, such as identity, academic stress, or relationship concerns. Students might be dealing with more specific concerns, such as depression, anxiety, sleep disruption, body and eating concerns, trauma and post-traumatic stress symptoms, substance abuse, grief or suicidal thoughts. Other times, students are not sure what brings them into counseling, except that they have not been feeling like themselves, or might notice having difficulty keeping up academically or having trouble sleeping. A therapist can help identify the concern and provide ways of coping and increase self-awareness.

Schedule an Appointment

Appointments can be made by visiting Counseling and Campus Wellness in the Pathfinder Building (Rm 207) or by calling 307.778.4397. If you are in need of crisis support, please refer to our Crisis Assistance  information.

Learn more about scheduling an appointment.

Here are a few things that might be helpful to get the most out of your therapy:

  • Regularly attend your sessions and take an active part in them
  • Be prepared for each session and be ready to focus on a concern or issue
  • Work collaboratively with your counselor and be willing to explore new behaviors both within and outside the sessions
  • Be open and honest with your counselor about how the sessions are going for you, particularly if you don’t think you’re being helped
  • Ask questions. If your therapist is talking about something you do not understand, or you feel uncertain about a particular suggestion, ask questions

Counseling & Campus Wellness services are FREE to all currently enrolled and attending LCCC students. 

Counseling & Campus Wellness staff adhere to the American Counseling Association and the National Association of Social Work Code of Ethics. Counselors maintain accepted professional standards of confidentiality. No personal counseling information is to be released to those outside of the Counseling and Campus Wellness office without your explicit written authorization. Exceptions to confidentiality may be made under the following circumstances:

  • If it is deemed necessary to protect you or another person from imminent physical or psychological danger
  • In cases of child abuse
  • In those situations when the courts subpoena Counseling Services records
  • If a counselor receives information that a client has a communicable and fatal disease, he/she is justified in disclosing information to an identifiable third party who by his/her relationship with the client is at a high risk of contracting the disease.

Counseling & Campus Wellness uses a goal-focused, brief treatment model. Most presenting concerns are resolved within six sessions or less; however, students are eligible for up to 12 sessions. Students needing extensive, long-term counseling or a formal diagnosis will be referred to the community's support agencies.

If you are in immediate danger to yourself or others, please contact 9-1-1 immediately.  

If you have a crisis during regular office hours, please come by our office (PF 207) for support and for assistance in determining an appropriate course of action.

If your are in crisis after hours please call the at After Hours Crisis Line at 1.833.434.1217.

For an immediate emergency, please call Campus Safety & Security at 307.630.0645, go to the Cheyenne Regional Medical Center Emergency Room, or call 9-1-1.

If you live in the residence halls, talk with your RA or the Residence Hall Director.  The crisis will be assessed and the counselor on-call may be contacted.

No, but we can refer you the the Student Health Clinic or a community provider. 

Please fill out a Report a Concern form and a professional will reach out to them.

We do not provide documentation to support diagnoses or disabilities to new clients. If you require such documentation, you are advised to obtain letters of support from mental health professionals or medical providers who have been involved directly in your mental health care for the relevant time period. We may provide documentation regarding your mental health only when you have been receiving on-going treatment at CCW during the relevant time period. We also do not provide documentation for Emotional Support Animals.

Most times, students feel a connection with their therapist. There are times, however, when it may not feel like a good fit. Students wishing to be assigned to a new counselor are encouraged to address their concerns and provide feedback to the primary counselor first and will be accomodated on a case by case basis. 

Counseling & Campus Wellness does not provide "a note" for class absences. If you are unable to attend class, please communicate with your professor to make up any missed work at your earliest convenience.

Yes, if you are under the age of 18 you will need parental consent unless you are experiencing a mental health emergency. Please notify staff if you are a minor prior to your first appointment. Minor Consent form.