General Advising

  • Discussion about your program and academic goals
  • Registration assistance
  • Information about and referrals to campus resources
  • Transfer assistance

Students must meet with their advisor prior to registration until the student has successfully completed 25+ credit hours. After completing 25+ credit hours, students should connect with their program faculty for advice on transfer, career and program questions.

Regular contact with an advisor is a key element to a student’s academic success at LCCC. Students should plan to meet with their advisor anytime they have questions or concerns and/or prior to each registration period to ensure they’re selecting appropriate courses to meet their academic goals.

Students are encouraged to schedule appointments with their academic advisor using Navigate. Meetings may last 30 or 60 minutes depending on the type of service needed.

A student can contact his or her advisor via email, over the phone or using https://lcccwy.navigate.eab.com/. 

Students should check their official school email account (accessible via myLCCC) regularly as this is the primary means by which their academic advisor and other student services correspond with the student body.

A credit hour is an estimate of the time spent on a course each week. Students should multiply by 3 the credit hour count for each class in order to get an accurate idea of the workload each week for a class. For a three credit class, students should expect to spend 3 hours in class and an additional 3 to 6 hours studying and preparing for the class.

Twelve credit hours each semester constitutes a full-time course load.

To graduate in two years, most students need to take closer to 15-18 credit hours each semester. Twelve credit hours/semester will increase the amount of time it takes to earn an associate degree.

The maximum load is 19 credit hours. To take an overload of 20 or more credit hours, students will need advisor permission. Due to the demanding nature of such a credit load, LCCC only grants permission in unique circumstances.

Academic Standing

Academic probation occurs when a student’s cumulative GPA falls below 2.0. A student who finishes a semester with a cumulative GPA below a 2.0 will be put on probation status the following semester. During that probation semester, the student will work with his or her academic advisor to improve his or her cumulative GPA to above a 2.0. Students on probation must get their advisor’s signature to register for or withdraw from courses. 

Learn more about Academic Probation/Suspension.

Academic suspension occurs when a student’s cumulative GPA has remained below 2.0 at the end of the probation semester. A student on suspension status is unable to register for courses the next semester. The student will be able to re-enroll at the College after a semester off and begin taking classes again. Students who took time off from classes due to suspension must re-enroll to LCCC. They will be in Good Academic Standing when they return. Summer semester grades are not calculated as part of a student’s probation or suspension status.

A student may appeal their Suspension status if they believe they have extenuating circumstances that added to their cumulative GPA history. The Academic Suspension Appeal Form may be found on the Academic Standing webpage.

Learn more about Academic Probation/Suspension.

Grade Point Average (GPA) is a calculation of grade points divided by completed credits. Grade points are calculated by multiplying a letter grade and the number of credits a class is worth. Each letter grade is worth a certain number of points. A = 4 points; B = 3 points; C = 2 points; D = 1 point; F = 0 points. So, a B grade in a 3-credit class is worth 9 points. 3 credits X 3 points = 9 points.

A semester GPA is calculated by determining the total grade points and dividing that number by the total number of completed credits. A cumulative GPA is the average of every semester GPA on record.

A GPA Calculator can be found here to assist with calculations (Excel spreadsheet).

Choosing/Changing a Program of Study

When students applied for admission or readmission, they selected a program of study on the application, which is their declared program of study. If a student wants to change that program or add a second program of study, they must do so in the Self Service app in their myLCCC account. Program of Study changes are only done through the student's myLCCC account. Please note, some programs of study are closed and students must apply for admission to these programs (i.e., Nursing, Radiography, etc.).

To change the program of study in Self Service students should: log into myLCCC, select the Self Service app, click on the Academics menu, then select Change Program. The student ID number is necessary to complete this process.

Students can access a Degree Audit by signing in to their myLCCC account and clicking on the Degree Audit app. The degree audit lists the curriculum for each program of study and also tracks a student’s progress each semester to show which courses are completed and which courses remain.

Students can also utilize the "My Planner" tool located in Navigate by downloading the Navigate app or accessing Navigate through their myLCCC account. This function allows students to build an academic plan based on their intended program of study and the required courses needed to complete the degree. Students should meet with their Academic Advisor to learn more about this tool.

It is common for a student to feel undecided about what he or she wants to study. LCCC's Career Services office is a resource for students who require assistance determining career goals. In addition to resume review and interview coaching, Career Services provides self-assessments and career and major exploration to help students determine a path.

The Associate of Arts and Associate of Science (AA/AS) degrees are designed to transfer to four-year colleges. They constitute the first 2 years of full-time study toward a Bachelor degree.

The Associate of Applied Science (AAS) degrees are designed to develop skills for entry-level employment or to upgrade skills to improve a student’s opportunity for advancement within an existing position. An AAS isn’t designed to transfer to a university, although some classes may still transfer. 

Certificates and credit diplomas are designed to develop skills for entry-level employment. Typically they take one year or less to complete.

Course Scheduling

Students should talk with their advisor by phone, email or in-person about what changes they want to make, including why they want to drop a class and what class or classes they might want to add. Actual schedule changes cannot take place via phone and must take place via the student's myLCCC account.

Dropping a course means that the course doesn’t appear on a student’s transcript and the student doesn’t receive a W on his or her transcript. Dropping a course is only possible before the class begins or within the first week of the class. Check the Academic Calendar for appropriate dates for each block date.

Before dropping a course students should contact their advisor to determine how the drop will affect their academic plan. Additionally, students should contact the Student Hub before dropping a class to determine how a course drop will affect their financial aid awards.

To withdraw means to not complete a course. A “W” appears on the transcript and it indicates that the course wasn’t completed. Grades of “W” aren’t calculated into a student’s GPA, so in some cases a “W” is more favorable than an “F.”

However, too many “W” grades can be detrimental. These count as credits that were attempted but not completed, and these credits are calculated as part of a student’s completion rate for financial aid eligibility. 

Before students withdraw from a course, students should speak with their instructor to see if they have any chance of working to improve their grade. Student should also speak to their advisor before making schedule changes.

If you have already completed 25+ credits but you care unable to adjust your class schedule this means that a registration hold is preventing you from making changes to your schedule. You should contact your academic advisor to determine which hold is affecting you.