Pathways Day Schedule
|8 - 8:30 a.m.||Check-in|
|8:30 - 9 a.m.||Welcome by LCCC President Joe Schaffer|
|9 a.m. - 12 p.m.||Hands-on Tracks|
|12 - 12:45 p.m.||Lunch|
|12:45 - 1 p.m.||Awards Presentation and Wrap Up|
What is a Pathway?
A Pathway is a set of related programs grouped together to allow for exploration in multiple areas with low risk of wasting credits or semesters. Take a minute and look into what Pathway interests to you.
Not sure what to pick? Career Coach's assessment can help.
Pick a Pathway to Explore:
Agriculture & Equine Pathway (limited to 60 participants)
Equine: Using horses to work cattle is one of the best ways to get the job done. In this workshop, current ranch horse team members will demonstrate techniques to help you train your horse to work correctly on a cow. Participants will work hands-on with tack and training equipment to aid in basic and advanced training techniques.
Natural Resources: How will we feed the estimated 9.5 billion people on this planet by the year 2050? Help solve a real-world problem of efficiently getting water to crops and animals at this hands-on station.
Animal Science: Curious where that meat on your plate came from? Join us in this hands-on workshop as we explore the cuts of meat on a hog and learn the secrets to cooking juicy, tender pork.
Business & Accounting Pathway (limited to 60 participants)
It’s your #GoldenOpportunity to WIN! Students will engage in a Trivial Pursuit Style team competition using their economics, marketing, accounting, management and entrepreneurship knowledge to earn BAP Bucks that will be used to “buy” the needed supplies to create a product prototype. Teams will create a break-even analysis, marketing plan, and pitch for their product prototypes. The winning team with the best Business #GoldenOpportunity will be announced by a surprise national celebrity and awarded fabulous prizes.
Communication & Creative Arts Pathway
Fine and Performing Arts (limited to 24)
Music Diction “Crash Course”: Student and faculty performances and an improvised performance with singing and percussion.
Art History & Popular Culture
A Play in an Hour: Improvisation and writing.
Creative Comms (limited to 20)
Creative Writing: Find inspiration and spark creativity by playing with language in unique ways. Come ready to deface old textbooks! Dabble in surrealism! Play parlor games! Students will leave with a poem or story they didn’t know they were capable of writing.
Spanish: Students will go on a treasure hunt and have a snowball fight as they get to know one another and learn the importance of diversity and cultural responsiveness in the ever-flattering globalized world.
Communication: The communication field is huge, covering components such as conversations, photojournalism,
media writing and communicating across cultures. This session will explore multiple
areas within the discipline allowing students to take photos, report on their discoveries
and discuss the meaning.
Health Sciences & Wellness Pathway (limited to 60 participants)
What is it really like to work as a healthcare professional? Take a walk in their shoes, and experience simulated scenarios and live-action activities. Students will explore all twelve programs offered in the HSW Pathway and meet our faculty and students while walking through real-life scenarios utilizing our high-tech labs and equipment.
Human & Public Services Pathway (limited to 25 participants)
Ice Breaker: Get to know your Pathway Coordinator and the amazing faculty in the Human & Public Services Pathway at LCCC. Then, compete in a scavenger hunt across campus that highlights important areas for this Pathway. Prizes will be given to the highest scoring teams.
After exploring campus, teams will be split based upon program of interest.
Psychology/Social Work Program: Ever wonder what your personality is and how to describe it? Work with our faculty on developing your own persona and understanding how this will apply to your college experience.
Criminal Justice & Paralegal Programs: What is it like to fingerprint someone? Are you addicted to CSI? Want to experienced working a “crime scene?” The Criminal Lab at LCCC will be decked out and ready for you to experience what it will be like to work with criminals in the legal field and how to work through a crime scene.
Human & Public Services Program: Not quite sure what you’re interested in, but know you want to help others? On this team, we’ll dive into career exploration and work on developing your specific internal purpose so that you can be prepared for your upcoming journey through life in your career. We’ll have hands-on team building exercises that help to find out who you are as an individual.
Education Programs: Wonder what it’s like to be a teacher? This team will explore how LCCC prepares the finest teachers for their careers in this field. You’ll network with faculty who will provide hands-on information for what to expect in college.
Information Technology Pathway (limited to 60 participants)
IT Pathway Experience:
- Add capability to your PC – Explore the hardware lab environment and add more RAM and a video card to a PC.
- Learn Python coding with Arduino and Raspberry Pi – Explore the Linux OS of microcomputers such as Arduino and Raspberry Pi. Learn the basics of controlling lights and more with these devices.
- How to Prioritize your data in your home network – Learn the basics of navigating your home network router, to enhance game traffic or prioritize your cell phone to always get the most data.
- Bonus activity: Protect yourself online. Basic cybersecurity tests and actions you can take. Try your hand at identifying an attack vulnerability in the CyberCity training environment. Find a weakness, launch an attack and watch the outcome.
Science, Technology, Engineering & Math Pathway (limited to 40 participants)
Tour our amazing lab and learning spaces, and visit with faculty and current students. Activities and demonstrations include:
- DNA Extraction Activity: Extract DNA from strawberries in just a few minutes with just soap and alcohol. They have so much DNA that you can easily see it with your own eyes!
- Insects and Snakes, Oh My!: See the variety of insects that we use as models in some of our biology classes, and hold one, if you want. Don’t forget to visit and give some love to our resident kingsnakes too.
- Reactions and Enzymes: Ever wonder what a chemical reaction looks like through an
infrared camera? Now is your chance to find out. In this session, we will look at
the thermal profiles of reactions, learn how enzymes act as reaction catalysts and
do an activity that demonstrates how enzymes work.
- Disease Transmission Simulation: Learn how easily diseases can be transmitted within groups of people and discuss ways to prevent disease transmission in this eye-opening simulation.
- “Smart” Maps for Everyone: How many times do you rely on your favorite map application on your phone to get you somewhere? Find out how these maps are made and the data that goes into them, plus more geoscience stuff.
- Virtual Cadaver and Organ Demonstration: Check out our virtual cadaver table that features a virtual, life-size human body. Explore different body systems on the virtual cadaver and then see some real organs in action.
Trades & Technical Studies Pathway (limited to 100 participants)
Welding: Explore the latest in welding technology and see a weld as it happens with our new camera and video screen. Try your hand at welding.
Diesel: Explore the diesel lab and learn about the technology and equipment that keeps these large engines on the road. Visit with industry partners and discover career opportunities for graduates.
Automotive: Get your hands under the hood of cars in an interactive automotive diagnostics session. Learn how to assess your own car before you are broken down on the side of the road.
Industrial Systems: View what electricity looks like, explore the climb safety lab and the inside of a wind turbine with interactive demonstrations and activities.Meet with industry partners and learn about the wide variety of careers for graduates of Industrial Systems.