- Bachelor of the Arts in Biology, Ripon College, Ripon, Wis.
- Master of Science in Agronomy, University of Wyoming, Laramie, Wyo.
- Doctorate of Philosophy in Botany, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colo.
Areas of Instruction:
I teach both majors (BIOL1010) and non-majors (BIOL1003) biology, the biology of plants and fungi (BIOL2023) and also scientific research I and II (BIOL1390/2390).
I live in Colorado and spend my spare time with my family enjoying the outdoors, reading and traveling.
Botanical Society of America, American Association for the Advancement of Science, American Phytopathological Society and National Association of Biology Teachers
- Valdez-Barillas JR, Quinn CF, Freeman JL, Lindblom SD, Fakra SC, Marcus MA, Gilligan TM, Alford ER, Wangeline AL, and Pilon-Smits EAH (2012). Selenium Distribution and Speciation in the Hyperaccumulator Astragalus bisulcatus and Associated Ecological Partners. Plant Physiology 159: 1834-1844
- Lindblom SD, Valdez-Barillas JR, Fakra SC, Marcus MA, Wangeline AL, Pilon-Smits EAH (2012) Influence of Microbial Associations on Selenium Localization and Speciation in Roots of Astragalus and Stanleya Hyperaccumulators. Experimental and Environmental Botany, in press
- Wangeline AL, Valdez JR, Lindblom SD, Bowling KL, Reeves FB, Pilon-Smits EAH (2011). Characterization of rhizosphere fungi from selenium hyperaccumulator and nonhyperaccumulator plants along the eastern Rocky Mountain Front Range. American Journal of Botany 98: 1139-1147
- Quinn CF, Wyant K, Wangeline AL, Shulman J, Galeas ML, Valdez JR, Paschke MW, Pilon-Smits EAH (2011). Selenium hyperaccumulation increases leaf decomposition rate in a seleniferous habitat. Plant and Soil 341: 51-61
- Wangeline AL, Reeves FB (2007). Two new Alternaria species from selenium-rich habitats in the Rocky Mountain Front Range. Mycotaxon 99: 83-89.
- Wangeline AL, Burkhead JL, Hale KL, Lindblom S-D, Terry N, Pilon M, Pilon-Smits EAH (2004). Overexpression of ATP Sulfurylase in Brassica juncea: Effects on Tolerance and Accumulation of Twelve Metals. Journal of Environmental Quality 33:54-60
- Hanson B, Lindblom SD, Garifullina GF, Wangeline A, Ackley A, Pilon-Smits EAH (2003). Selenium Accumulation Affects Brassica juncea Susceptibility to Invertebrate Herbivory and Fungal Infection. New Phytologist 159: 461-469
I am fascinated by the living world around me, which is why I study and teach biology. I am passionate about the subject and also about the success of my students both in science and in life. An understanding of biology helps students to make informed decisions regarding topics ranging from medicine to agriculture to the environment. My students and I conduct research on various subjects including the evolution of selenium hyperaccumulation, oxidative stress and selenium, and phytoremediation.