CHEYENNE — Laramie County Community College's student media organization, Wingspan, and its student journalists recently received a variety of awards from three national journalism organizations during the spring 2018 semester.
Wingspan was honored with a first-place award for best scholastic newspaper by the American Scholastic Press Association. This marks the 28th consecutive year that Wingspan has won this honor.
The Columbia Scholastic Press Association recognized Wingspan with four third-place awards:
- Isaiah Colbert and Floyd Whiting: computer generated art/illustration
- Jacob Hamel: headline writing
- Jacob Hamel: photo illustration
- Wingspan staff: editorial writing
Wingspan won five awards in the regional Mark of Excellence contest sponsored by the Society of Professional Journalists:
- Jesi Lofink: breaking news reporting
- Jenna Piper: in-depth reporting
- Jenna Piper, Jacob Hamel and Isaiah Colbert: general column writing
- Isaiah Colbert and Cody Fox: photo illustration
- Jacob Hamel and Jenna Piper: online/digital news videography
SPJ also recognized Wingspan as a finalist in several categories: feature writing (Hannah Martin), sports writing (Abby Morillon, Jacob Hamel and Nikole Anderson), general column writing (Isaiah Colbert and Jacob Hamel), photo illustration (Isaiah Colbert), sports photography (Abby Morillon and Cody Fox), and broadcast news videography (Chris Edwards, Tyler Haak, Brooke Darden and Jenna Piper).
For the 2017-18 academic year, Wingspan's editors were Creighton Grove, Jenna Piper, Isaiah Colbert, Chris Edwards and Tyler Haak. Advisors were Jake Sherlock, Cyrus Saatsaz and Alicia Stice.
For more articles and content from Wingspan go to lcccwingspan.com