LCCC’s philosophy of caring for students is demonstrated by the number of reports that are handled through the CARE Team versus student conduct. The graphic to the left outlines the breakdown of total incidents reported in one school year (fall and spring semester). The Conduct housing piece of the pie includes violations of the code of conduct, which occur in the residence halls on the Cheyenne campus. The residential living piece of the pie represents cases where staff are assisting residents in building a community. These cases include things such as roommate conflicts and mediated conversations and are handled by resident assistants and the hall director. The CARE Team handles the largest percentage of cases at LCCC with the goal of supporting a student through life challenges and ultimately to graduation.
An individual of concern is any individual who demonstrates disruptive behavior, personal difficulties, mental and/or emotional instability, or otherwise causes another member of the campus community to feel distress.
Individuals of concern are reported to the CARE Team, whose goal is to develop a holistic intervention strategy and action plan designed to specifically address their unique needs.
The CARE Team can provide additional resources and individualized help to those who are experiencing difficulties. This support is beneficial to both the individual and the campus community. All referral information is confidential.
The following timeline explains the steps that will occur when a case is opened. Typically, a case is closed within a month of it being opened. However, cases are assessed upon submission and may be fast tracked to action based on type and student need. The process is documented and managed in the college’s Maxient Incident Report system.
- A case is opened when a person files a report through Maxient Incident Report or by verbal communications, email communications, etc.
CARE Team meeting
- Case is discussed.
- NaBITA Risk Assessment is completed.
- SIVRA-35 is completed as needed.
- Case manager from the CARE team is assigned.
- Case manager will communicate with the case reporter to clarify information and thank them for the report.
- Conversation with student.
- Develop a plan with the student.
- Use other campus and community resources as needed.
- Student may be referred to student conduct.
- A report will be made at the weekly CARE Team meetings.
- The case will be closed if the student is back on track.