Exercise Science - Physical Education Teacher Education Concentration
Associate of Science
The Laramie County Community College Exercise Science program is concerned with the many aspects of human movement and its application to physical activity and the quality of one's life. This program is suggested for students who are interested in a career in exercise science, sports medicine, physical therapy, athletic training, physical education teacher education (PETE), occupational therapy or related fields. Students complete coursework that provides a solid knowledge base of human anatomy, physiology, and health. Two program tracks are available depending on the student's interest and career goals. All students must complete the general education core and complete either the Exercise Science track or the Physical Education Teacher Education (PETE) track.
The PETE track leads to an Associate of Science degree and is designed to prepare students to meet academic standards leading to a bachelor degree at a four year institution. Students are exposed to behavioral, humanistic, and pedagogical studies that foster an understanding of schools as an institution and the value of physically active lifestyles in Pre K-12 students. Students interested in coaching or recreation-oriented careers may also find this program of interest.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the teaching profession as well as the history and development of Physical Education as an academic discipline.
- Demonstrate competent motor skills performance in a variety of physical activities.
- Describe and apply bioscience (anatomical, physiological) concepts to skilled movement and fitness.
- Identify components of a healthy lifestyle and describe behavior modification to enhance their health.
- Identify, select and implement appropriate learning practice opportunities based on understanding the students, the learning environment and the task. (adopted Aug. 1, 2012)
Transfer Agreements with Four-Year Institutions: Program Articulation
LCCC has partnered with four-year institutions to articulate a way for students to transfer earned credits. These articulations are formal agreements between LCCC and the institution. These agreements match up coursework to make the transfer process smooth and to eliminate any duplication of courses. Any deviations from the prescribed course list will not articulate.
For a map and specific hours these facilities are open for personal use, see the PE Recreation and Fitness web page.
- Aerobic center featuring a state-of-the-art oak dance floor.
- Climbing wall for bringing the outdoors inside.
- Gym with a full regulation court and two half-courts. The two half-courts use retractable baskets.
- Multipurpose room with four indoor tennis and volleyball courts.
- 25-meter swimming pool with 6 lap lanes and a diving board.
- Oak-floored racquetball courts.
- Free weight room featuring HardKore floor machines, Hammer Jammer, and free-weight areas.
Cost of Attendance
For general college expense, view LCCC’s tuition and fees. Student in the Physical Education Teacher Education (PETE) concentration have additional estimated course fees expense of $75. *This is an estimate and may change at any time. This estimate may vary due to the variety of online, hybrid and face to face offerings available. Course fees may be higher for one modality when compared to another.