Home School PE Program
This program was developed as a win-win for the Cheyenne home school community (children and parents) and our Physical Education Teacher Education (PETE) majors. Our students are beginning pre-service teachers.
Children who will be 5 by September 1, 2018 through 18 years old are eligible to participate.
The teaching philosophy used in this program is a skill theme approach. This philosophy focuses on teaching physical skills such as chasing, bending, balancing, transferring weight, throwing, catching, kicking, dribbling, etc. The skill themes approach is intended to teach children the fundamental skills and progress the student from fundamental movements into modified games and activities. Our intention is to help children enjoy being physically active.
We focus on a quality physical education experience which includes:
- Time—ideally children should have 150 minutes of physical activity each week. Our program accounts for 30 – 50 minutes of physical activity for children.
- Class size—we work to keep class size to approximately 25 students per group.
- Sequential, developmental curriculum—we develop a curriculum based on children's levels of skill.
- Minimum of 50% moderate vigorous physical activity (MVPA)—we want your children moving as much as possible.
- Plenty of practice opportunities—children have to have time to practice what they are learning. We plan for children to have lots of practice, lots of feedback and most importantly, lots of success in learning these motor skills.
- High rates of success—We don't want lessons too hard for students as that causes frustration we don't want them too easy as that leads to boredom. We want to find the "just right" for each student.
- And the final element is a positive emotional environment. We want children to enjoy moving, enjoy being physically active. We aim to create a nurturing place for your children to grow and challenge themselves.
If you are not currently enrolled in this program and would like to enroll your children, please contact Cindy Henning, Exercise Science program director at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 307.778.1185.
If you are a parent and interested in participating in our Adult workouts, please click this link to learn more.