Associate of Arts
The major in English enables students to develop and enrich reading, writing and critical thinking skills by completing a variety of liberal arts courses. The major leads to an Associate of Arts degree and prepares students for various bachelor degree programs including administration, communication, English, journalism, pre-law, and pre-medicine. Students who wish to be certified for public school teaching should consult the requirements for a secondary education major.
Professional, Co-Curricular Opportunities
English majors have the opportunity to join the staff of the High Plains Register, LCCC's literary and arts journal. Staff members belong to a Laramie County Community College campus club/organization and earn course credit at the same time! (Staff must be registered for ENGL 2100: Literary Magazine, a variable-credit course with flexible meeting times. Participants can sign up for one, two or three credits a semester).
- Do you enjoy reading classic literature, non-fiction and scholarly writing?
- Do you like to write?
- Are you skilled at grammar and sentence structure?
- Do you enjoy researching?
Recommended Credentials: (Credit Diploma (CD), Associate (AA), Bachelors (BA), and Beyond)
- Academic Advisor (BA or Beyond)
- Administration (BA or Beyond)
- Advertising (BA)
- Creative Writers
- Editor (BA)
- English as a Second Language (ESL)
- (BA or Beyond)
- Human Resources (BA or Beyond)
- Information/Library Science (Beyond)
- Journalists (BA)
- Lawyer (Beyond)
- Management (BA or Beyond)
- Non-profit Director (AA, BA, or Beyond)
- Publisher (BA)
- Student Affairs (BA or Beyond)
- Teacher (BA or Beyond)
- Technical Writers (BA)
- Tutoring (AA, BA, or Beyond)
- Non-profit Organizations
- Government Agencies
- K-12 Schools
- Colleges and Universities
- Magazines and Newspapers
- Large and Small Businesses
- Advertising Agencies
(For more salary information go to onetonline.org)
|Occupation||Median Salary U.S. Yearly||Median Salary Wyoming Yearly||Employment change,
|Secondary School Teachers||$58,030||$58,480||-35.2|
|Human Resources Specialist||$59,180||$50,080||4.6|
|Public Relations Specialists||$58,020||$54,380||6.2|
Transfer Agreement with Four-Year Institution: Program Articulation
LCCC has partnered with a four-year institution to articulate a way for students to transfer earned credits. This articulation is a formal agreement between LCCC and the institution. This agreement matches up coursework to make the transfer process smooth and to eliminate any duplication of courses. Any deviations from the prescribed course list will not articulate.
- English Studies Track: University of Wyoming - Signed Agreement
Cost of Attendance
For general college expense, students can view LCCC’s tuition and fees Web page. Students in this program do not typically incur additional expenses.