Apply to the Program
Submit an LCCC Admission Application to the Admissions Office. It is the student's responsibility to request official transcripts of high school and college courses to be sent to the Student Records Office. GED recipients must request an official score report and have it sent.
NOTE: Unofficial transcripts (student copies, including LCCC) must be attached and submitted with the Dental Hygiene Application.
Completion of/or substantial progress in completing, all required prerequisites as outlined in the program application. All must be completed with a C or higher by December 16, 2016.
Complete an observation of two dental hygienists for a total of eight hours. Applicants should contact an office to make an appointment and to ask about proper attire. Each dental hygienist who is shadowed should fill out the Pre-Admission Observation form and mail the form to the Dental Hygiene Program.
Applicants with previous dental experience may send verification of employment in place of observation.
- Documentation of LCCC application and acceptance for Admission to the institution. Applicants must request and send official transcripts from high school and from each college previously attended. GED recipients must request an official score report and have it sent. NOTE: Student copies of the college transcripts must be attached and submitted with the Dental Hygiene Program Application.
- Completed acceptance form
- Dental Hygiene Program fee deposit of $3,375.00
- Verification of current vaccinations and titers (Hepatitis B, Rubella, Rubeola, Diphtheria, Tetanus, MMR, Varicella). A current TB test (PPD) will need to be completed prior to beginning clinic in March. Students must maintain current TB testing at all times while in the Dental Hygiene Program.
- A copy of both sides of a current American Heart Association certification card in Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation for Health Care Providers. (Note: Other organization's certification is NOT acceptable.) Students must maintain current Health Care Provider CPR certification at all times while in the Dental Hygiene Program.
- A verification form related to personal health insurance. All students admitted to the Dental Hygiene Program are expected to be responsible for personal health costs. Students are not covered by worker's compensation because they are not employees of LCCC or any clinical sites. The college does not offer health insurance.
- Acceptable chemical impairment screening and criminal background checks are required. Chemical impairment may compromise both the educational process and patient safety. Early identification, evaluation and treatment are in the best interest of our students and the patients they serve. In addition, clinical sites may require random drug testing and/or drug testing for reasonable cause. Generally, the urine drug test screens for alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs, or drugs that impair judgment while in the clinical site, classroom or participating in program activities. Testing positive on the screening, or evidence of tampering with a specimen, will disqualify a student from participating in program assignments.
To be considered for admission into the program, students must complete Steps 1-4 above.
Admission is based on a point system of completed prerequisite coursework.
- Each prerequisite course must be completed with a grade of C or higher.
- Science prerequisite GPA: A 2.5 GPA minimum is required for all science course prerequisites to obtain points. 0.75 points will be awarded for every 0.05 points over the minimum 2.5 GPA requirement. (22.5 points maximum)
- General studies prerequisite GPA: A 2.5 GPA minimum required for all general studies prerequisites to obtain points. 0.5 points will be awarded for every 0.05 points over the minimum 2.5 GPA requirement. (15 points maximum)
- For courses that have been retaken, the most recent grade will be used.
- One point will be awarded for each of the following general studies prerequisite courses completed with a grade of C or higher prior to the application: English 1: Composition, College Algebra, Sociological Principles, General Psychology, and Public Speaking. (five points maximum)
- Two points will be awarded for each of the following science prerequisite courses completed with a grade of C or higher prior to the application: Anatomy, Physiology, and Medical Microbiology. A minimum of two science courses must be completed prior to application deadline. (six points maximum)
- If an applicant has repeated more than two prerequisite courses, one point will be deducted from the total points for each repeated course.
- If two applicants are equally qualified, the overall prerequisite GPA will be the determining factor in the selection process. In the event that there is still a tie, the science GPA will be the determining factor. If there is still a tie, preference will be given to the Wyoming resident, and finally, previous work experience in the dental field.
LCCC doesn't discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age or disability in admission or access to, or treatment or employment in, its educational programs or activities.
1. Maintain a minimum grade of C in each required dental hygiene course.
2. Take the dental hygiene courses in sequence.
3. Maintain acceptable background checks/drug screens and certifications.