CHEYENNE, WYO. — Laramie County Community College's student media organization took nine Mark of Excellence awards in the Society of Professional Journalists Region IX competition.
Wingspan took nine awards, including three winners that will go on to the national SPJ competition. Mass media major Ike Fredregill won in the feature photography and feature writing categories for a piece on retired chemistry instructor Rich Laidlaw. LCCC multimedia graduate Taylor Snell took top honors in the photo illustration category for the cover design of the March 9, 2015, issue.
Finalists from LCCC also include:
- Fredregill, again for feature writing, for a story about retired instructor Rosalind Schliske
- Current Wingspan co-editor and mass media major Cody Fox for sports photography
- LCCC multimedia graduate Tamara Rodgers for feature photography and in sports photography.
- LCCC mass media graduate Erica Klimt for in-depth reporting
- The Wingspan staff for editorial writing
Winners were announced at the SPJ Region IX annual conference in April.
LCCC was one of only three community colleges to win in the competition and earned more awards than the other two schools: Northwest College and the Community College of Denver. Two-year and four-year schools competed against each other, and divisions were based on student populations, with LCCC competing in the small-school division (9,999 and under).
Rosalind Schliske, Jacob Sherlock and J.L. O'Brien served as advisers to the LCCC student media organization during the 2015 calendar year.